Secondary School Transfer Video
Secondary School Application deadline: 31st October 2020
This is an important year for your child as we aim to develop their confidence, resilience and independence so they feel ready to move on to secondary school.
Of course, we do have a few tests (Wandsworth tests and the SATs) but the year is so much more than that: we want to instil inquisition, motivation and a love of learning which all children can take with them into their new schools. We encourage children to realise that there’s a purpose to their learning and that they can use their skills to make a difference in this world.
The Year 6 Team
We have an enthusiastic, experienced, committed and creative team in Year 6! The teachers in 6LG are Miss Lewis and Mrs Gilmour, in 6H is Mrs Hitch and in 6F is Miss French.
Mrs Hayden, Mrs Millett, Miss Saunders and Mrs Dathorne also work with us throughout the week.
What we are learning this term
See our Curriculum Map for this term
How you can help at home
- Daily reading for a minimum of 20 minutes is an expectation in Year 6. Children need to bring their reading record and book into school every day. It is still really important to listen to your child read at least 3 x a week - please record any reading at home in your child’s reading diary.
- Visit Mathletics: http://uk.mathletics.com Children have their own log-ins for Mathletics where they will be set weekly tasks to complete.
- Our P.E days are on Wednesdays. Please can children come to school in their P.E kits. They do not need to bring their uniform to change back in to for the time being.
- In order to complete mental and written calculations quickly and confidently, children should already be fluent in their times tables (1 - 12) by the time they reach Year 6. Please support your child with this to ensure they feel ready.
Other useful websites:
- LGfL and Scholastic resources
- Parent information - Mathletics
- Recommended Reading lists: School Reading lists or Book trust
- Free online SATS practice
- Free online Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning practice
- Verbal reasoning practice (free)
- Non-Verbal reasoning practice (free)
- More Non-Verbal and Verbal practice
- Oxford Owl
What we have been up to
- This will be updated throughout the year.