Reading at Penwortham
“If you don't like to read, you haven't found the right book.”JK Rowling
At Penwortham, we strive to ensure every child develops a love of reading.
We do this through:
- Daily teaching of Reciprocal Reading from Nursery to Year 6;
- Weekly Book Share assemblies and regular discussions around book recommendations;
- Daily phonics teaching in EYFS and KS1 to support decoding skills;
- School Books linked to our school values;
- A text led curriculum using high quality texts;
- Reading competitions and author visits;
- Organising for parent volunteers to listen to children read;
- Book Fairs and Book Weeks;
- Well stocked class libraries;
- Ensuring all children visit our magical school library every week.
Please click on the links to find out more!
Please see our recommendations for each year group by clicking on the boxes.
This is an excellent website that is updated every month. Please have a look at the latest recommendations!